Hot summer nights have arrived in the northern hemisphere and so have hot new RightScale features. Here is a summary of the capabilities we’ve added over the last month. Click the links below to get detailed release notes, or contact your RightScale Account Manager for more information.
- SoftLayer stop/start support: We added the ability to stop and start virtual servers using the RightScale Cloud Management dashboard as well as the Cloud Management API 1.5.
- Performance improvements: This week we upgraded portions of our Cloud Management back-end systems, which has already resulted in significant performance improvements. This upgrade combined with improvements to the user interface will provide you with an enhanced experience.
- New instance types: We added support for the new AWS M4 and T2.large instance types.
- Introducing CloudApp permissions: You can now declare permissions in your Cloud Application Template (CAT) so that your users who launch the CloudApp (from the catalog) will be granted the appropriate permissions only in the scope of launching and operating the CloudApp. This capability allows you to create powerful CloudApps for your users without granting them broad permissions on your cloud.
- New resource types: Now you can incorporate credentials and SSH keys into a CAT file natively, allowing you to easily create these secrets on a per-CloudApp basis and leverage them within your other servers, arrays, and assets.
- Preventing inadvertent waste: We have removed the ability for end users of Self-Service to delete CloudApps that are in the failed state. This should prevent users from accidentally leaving resources running in Cloud Management. Designers and admins will continue to have the ability to delete CloudApps in the failed state, but best practices dictate that they should always make sure that all related resources are terminated in Cloud Management before doing so.
- Full APIs: We have launched full public APIs for Cloud Analytics, which enables you to make API calls to import cost data into existing systems (such as ServiceNow) and to set budget alerts for your business units and other cloud users. For more information, read the Cloud Analytics API Overview.
- Markups: A new feature called Markups enables you to add non-infrastructure costs as a percentage to internal billing for comprehensive showback or chargeback. Additionally, if you have a negotiated rate for a service (such as Azure Enterprise Agreement discounts), then you can “mark down” the price to show the true cost in Cloud Analytics:
- RightScale Cloud Appliance for vSphere 1.3 released: We released the latest version of the RightScale Cloud Appliance for vSphere with two major new features: proxy support for private clouds and support for volumes on vSphere Storage clusters. With proxy support for private clouds, cloud admins can route all traffic between RightScale and internal resources — including the RightScale Cloud Appliance for vSphere and all instances — through a proxy server. This release also includes support for volumes on vSphere Storage clusters, which enable you to use Storage DRS (SDRS) to create a balanced workload in storage clusters rather than choosing an individual datastore.
- RightLink 10.1.4 released: The latest release of RightLink fixes bugs relating to managed login for newly invited users.
Meet With Us at Gartner Catalyst Conference (August 10-13 in San Diego)
Catalyst is the must-attend event of the year for technologists tasked with developing and executing on a strategy to leverage mobile, cloud, and big data to drive operational effectiveness and competitive advantage. This is one of our favorite conferences because it focuses on cloud topics that our customers find extremely valuable.
RightScale will be presenting two sessions, so plan to check them out:
- Manage Your Cloud Applications From a Single Pane of Glass Monday, August 10, 1:30 - 1:50 P.M.
- The New Role of IT: Keys to Broker Cloud Services Tuesday, August 11, 3:05 - 3:50 P.M.
Also, be sure to join us at the RightScale Beer and Bourbon Room on Tuesday, August 11, where we’ll be serving specialty microbrews on tap to get started and quality bourbon to finish. Relax after a day of "conferencing" with delicious food and a beer and bourbon trivia game with prizes that include a Beer of the Month Club membership and Pappy Van Winkle giveaways.
Stop by Our Booth at VMworld 2015 U.S. (August 30 - September 3 in San Francisco)
Stop by the RightScale booth (#331) where we’ll be discussing new announcements to help you on your path to provide self-service, visibility, and automation across all your infrastructure — including multiple clouds and virtualized environments.