Santa Barbara, CA — May 3, 2016 — RightScale® Inc., a demonstrated leader in enterprise universal cloud management, today announced the availability of RightScale Container Manager, which allows enterprises to manage containers alongside traditional workloads. RightScale Container Manager provides universal visibility, monitoring, and management of Docker containers across clouds as well as virtual and bare-metal servers.
RightScale found in its 2016 State of the Cloud Report that Docker use has doubled in the past year to 29 percent of enterprises, and that Docker could soon become the most popular DevOps tool. RightScale has recently migrated its own SaaS platform to Docker containers, and RightScale customers have also been increasing their usage of containers.
“RightScale Container Manager will help customers operate more efficiently by incorporating Docker containers into their heterogeneous environments,” said Tim Miller, vice president of engineering at RightScale. “We recently migrated 49 internal RightScale services, representing 665 out of 1,028 cloud instances, to Docker. By increasing server density, we cut the number of instances needed to support those services by 55 percent and reduced the cost by 53 percent. Just as importantly we increased agility by reducing cycle times for development.”
The new RightScale Container Manager complements RightScale’s existing capabilities for provisioning containerized infrastructure and managing Docker hosts. With the addition of RightScale Container Manager, customers can now provision and manage containers, clusters, and containerized applications as well as their non-containerized infrastructure from a single console. RightScale also complements cluster managers such as Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, and Mesos by managing the underlying infrastructure pools and the applications running in the cluster.
RightScale Container Manager provides all the tools needed to monitor and manage the use of containers across all resource pools including public and private cloud, bare metal, and vSphere:
- Automated container discovery: RightScale continually discovers which containers are running on which hosts across all resource pools and provides visibility into all running containers in the RightScale console.
- Automatic container tagging: RightScale makes tracking containers easier by automatically tagging container hosts with the container image, name, and ID (SHA).
- Search and filter on containers: RightScale users can quickly find containers with particular images or tags so that they can run a script or perform an application-specific operation.
- Automatic container monitoring: RightScale users can view monitoring metrics for each container as well as for the Docker host — identifying bottlenecks when a containerized application is slow or uncovering excess capacity in a host.
- Container alerts: RightScale administrators can configure alerts and escalations based on container metrics.
- Self-healing: RightScale users can automatically kick off actions or scripts if predefined thresholds are exceeded by individual containers or a Docker host.
- RightScale State of the Cloud Report: In February, RightScale announced the 2016 State of the Cloud Report with statistics on Docker usage. RightScale will announce a second report, “2016 State of the Cloud: DevOps Trends” on May 11, 2016.
- RightScale’s Own Journey to Docker: Read about RightScale’s own journey to Docker, as it moved its SaaS platform into Docker in production: Migrating to Docker: Why We’re Going All in at RightScale.
RightScale Universal Cloud Management enables leading enterprises to accelerate delivery of cloud-based applications that engage customers and drive top-line revenue while optimizing cloud usage to reduce risk and costs. With RightScale, IT organizations can deliver instant access to a portfolio of public, private, and hybrid cloud services across business units and development teams while maintaining enterprise control. RightScale Consulting Services help companies develop cloud strategies, deliver cloud projects, and optimize cloud usage. RightScale was named a “100 Best Places to Work in 2015” by Outside Magazine and was listed in “The Best Enterprise Cloud Computing Startups to Work For in 2015” by Forbes. Since 2007, leading enterprises including Audi, Pinterest, and Yellow Pages Group have launched millions of servers through RightScale.
RightScale is a registered trademark of RightScale, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. Other product or company names mentioned may be trademarks or trade names of their respective companies.